Wikia v Referata
From the group that combats the Wikia skin, the Anti-Wikia alliance.
Below are the differences between Wikia and Referata and detailed instructions on how to leave Wikia for Referata.
Differences between Wikia and Referata
|Choice of skin||Referata allows users to choose the following skins: ApiOutput, Bootstrap, Fallback, Minerva, Modern, MonoBook, Vector.||Wikias are forced to use Oasis, the current Wikia skin.|
|Leaving the wiki||Deletes wikis on founder request||Refuses to delete the wiki on request, staff will block and desysop editors who advertise the new website.|
|Advertising||Referata wikis are ad-free by default, but with the paid hosting options, wiki founders can set up their own ads.||
|Ad free hosting||Default (ads are a paid feature, which is the opposite of what most other websites offer)||No longer available as of August 7, 2015|
|Load times||~3 seconds to load page||~4 seconds to load page|
Instructions to leave Wikia for Referata
On the wikia you want to move:
- On a wikia where you are an admin, go to Special:Statistics.
- Scroll down and click the Request a database dump button.
- Continue to check back on Special:Statistics until the database dump has been updated. (This can take days.)
- Download one of the .xml.7z files. (The "current pages" version usually imports faster than the "full history" version.)
- Search for "download 7zip"
- Download 7Zip from the official website. (Downloading it from another website will cause your computer to be infested with toolbars.)
- Open the .xml.7z file using 7Zip. This will cause an XML file to be extracted.
- Register an account on the Referata metawiki.
- Create a wiki. Referata does not have single-user login; you will have to fill out the "username" and "password" forms manually.
- Once the wiki creation process is finished, go to your new wiki and log in using the credentials you entered into the "create wiki" form.
- Open the "Special:Import" page,
- Go into the "Choose File" menu and select the XML file that you extracted using 7Zip.
- Press the "upload file" button and wait for the import to finish.
- Once the import is finished, you will have to manually delete all pages with titles starting with "Message Wall:", "Message Wall Greeting:", "Thread:", "User blog:", and "Forum:".
- Ad free wikis - Wikia Community Central[dead link] - "Wikia recently started offering ad-free wikis for $19.95 a month. Any wiki with less than 20,000 pageviews per month is eligible for this program." On November 24, 2010, the program was still ongoing (see Talk:Ad free wikis § Still ongoing?). On May 13, 2015, the outdated page was deleted by DaNASCAT.